ABC CVC Board of Directors
Online Safety Training
Apprenticeship and Craft Training
Apprenticeship Training Fund
Custom and In House Training
Online Safety Training
New Member Application
Maryland Insurance Discounts
Excellence in Construction
Accredited Quality Contractors (AQC)
Chesapeake Employers Insurance
ABC CVC Firms Hiring
ABC CVC Blog
ABC CVC Podcast
The Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC) Inc., a National Trade Association founded in 1950 in Baltimore, MD, represents over 21,000 general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and associates from more than 19,000 firms.
The National Association has 69 Chapters throughout the Nation. The Cumberland Valley Chapter is one of these chapters and serves over 125-member companies in the tri-state area. The Cumberland Valley Chapter dedicates itself to assisting its members in growing and prospering. Architects, developers, owners, and contractors frequently contact ABC to find qualified contractors, suppliers, and associates. The Cumberland Valley Chapter is proud to refer our member firms each year. Such service is worth millions in potential business to those firms.
The Cumberland Valley Chapter was formed as the Western Maryland Chapter originally in 1957 based in Hagerstown, MD. The Chapter started training students in the construction trades in 1958 with a $30 per student. The membership of the Western Maryland chapter started to grow and move into parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The Chapter eventually renamed itself the Cumberland Valley Chapter.
In the early days through 2005, the Chapter conducted its training in different locations around the region. The office was also in several areas. In early 2000, 's the Chapter was able to buy its current location on Locust street and renovate the 30,000 SQF schools to fit its needs.
Initially constructed in the Mid-1800s, the School became part of the Washington County Public School systems. The School operated until the 1920s till such time that some students became injured due to poor conditions. After reviewing the conditions of the current School, WCPS announced in 1927 a decision to effect a new building.
WCPS published requests for bids to build the new Broadway School in June 1929 and issued building permits in August 1929. Construction crews completed the Broadway-Wayside School in August of 1930.
The Broadway-Wayside School had a few other moments and milestones. In the late fall of 1930, five students were arrested for breaking 26 of the School's windows just months after completion. In addition, the Broadway-Wayside School made history by being the first School to have a cafeteria that provided free lunches to students who were unable to purchase lunch.
The building has belonged to different local organizations, most notably Grace Academy, between 1998 and 2000. Then purchased by Associated Builders and Contractors, Cumberland Valley Chapter, in July of 2005 and has since become the building you know today.
The Barr Construction Institute admits students of any race, sex, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded to make available to students at the school. It does not discriminate based on race, sex, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of its admission policies, education policies, and loan programs are available. All are encouraged to apply.